Thursday, June 2, 2011

The New Intern

Hello, my name is Chelsea Barr and I am Lora's new intern! For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a wedding planner. I watched all the glamorous wedding shows on TLC and WE tv, I own "The Wedding Planner" the movie, and I have researched over and over "how to become a wedding planner." Lots of websites want to sell you their certification program or some kind of training course, and I ALMOST bought one!

One thing I learned right off the bat is that getting into the event/wedding planning industry is that it is NOT easy! To "qualify" you need lots of experience, but to get experience you need to have experience! I learned this when I was looking for a summer job. I figured I could hit two birds with one stone if I could earn experience and money working in the industry! BUT this was not as easy as it seemed. I sent out many emails inquiring job opportunities and every person that responded either didn't have an opening, or they advised me to volunteer my time to build my resume. So I sent out 30 resumes all with the objective to volunteer my time to gain experience in the wedding industry. The only response I received was Lora from At Your Service Weddings! Her email to me was titled, "You Are Hired!" The next week I started and I have been interning for about a month now. While I still consider purchasing a certification program, the value of the time I have spent with Lora is greater and more educational than any course! I have realized why experience is SO incredibly important: NETWORKING!!!!!

To Be Continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment